Sunday, December 9, 2007

A subtle guide

Your stories and memories of Granny Nell are all amazing and have brought me to laughter and tears in the same moment. Reading your blogs have provided a great escape from my studies. She meant a lot to each of us, and loved us more than we probably all deserved. She believed in us and I knew that even if I was not blessed to have spent the amount of time with her as many of you had. I don't have a funny story, just lots of little memories that I hold on to. For instance, I remember her taking us to the Museum in Fritch, and being in awe of the murals. Breakfast was always a momentous occasion on the ranch, what a great way to start your morning and Ive never had better biscuits. She also was a great healer and one time gave me a sprite and peanut butter crackers and I was cured, I thought it was the greatest cure ever.

One particular memory stand out. One summer just my mom and I visited the ranch, I think it was right before my senior year of high school and I got to spend time with them without the rest of my brothers. One day Granny Nell's pastor came over to discuss funeral arrangement stuff and I sat in with her and my mom. I was amazed that through the meeting she never seemed afraid, but instead she just bragged on all of us ; her kids and grand kids, and it was obvious the extreme love she had for us. I was scared not wanting to come to terms with her planning her inevitable funeral, but left blown away about how focused she was on others. That has stuck with me over the years, and I only hope that I can care about others the way she did.
This picture is at the entrance to the Poling Ranch on the day of Granny Nell's Funeral, I always thought it fitting how beautiful the sky was that evening!

3 comments:

Monica said...

The picture from my post is also from that same day. Gary Longanecker actually took it, and somehow I ended up with the original. I really wish it was digital. Can you email your picture to me? I really want to order it on canvas from shutterfly!

Meredith said...

That's such a great idea! Justus - can you send it to me as well?

Anonymous said...

Justus, I enjoyed reading the part where Mother met with the pastor. She said she was able to move forward after that day and give it all to God. Up to that point, she was really struggling in her spirit.

Hey, keep posting if you can when you get to Liberia. Congratulations on your upcoming graduation.