Saturday, November 28, 2009

Thanksgiving Post

We had a blast this year! Cute quote of the year was Carly, as we were leaving Mimi and Jeff's and she said, "Jeff is your step-dad?" I said, "Yes." She said, "Well, you sure got a nice step-dad." And he is! He fixed Carly's bike tires AND took her to see a movie.
I have a funny memory to share. You know that, "Where am I?" look that I have on my face so often? Well, it's because I don't know where I am. Or, very often, I am in a parking lot and I cannot find my car. So I can tell this story without feeling guilty.
One year, Granny Merrick was at our yearly Thanksgiving (or was it Christmas?) celebration at the ranch. And she was at the age where she was beginning to become a bit confused (hello, me on a daily basis.) And she asked Mom, "So, what do you teach?" Mom replied, "Fourth grade." She didn't hear mom, and asked her to clarify. And so it went over, and over again, until Mom was shouting, "FOURTH GRADE," while holding up four fingers in an attempt to communicate through sign language. Finally, we all saw the lightbulb go off, and Granny Merrick said, "Oh, you teach FIRST AID." We all nodded and grinned.

5 comments:

Molly said...

Has there ever been a sweeter woman? We love you Granny Merrick!

Monica said...

I had forgotten that funny story! I can laugh about it since I am losing my hearing just like her. She was a sweet, sweet woman!

Anonymous said...

Some quotes just go down in history.

You should have seen the smile on Jeff's face when he read this. Our grandkids are just the icing on the cake, or the whip cream on the pie, or the gravy on the taters...you get the picture!

Meredith said...

She was the sweetest. I don't think I've heard this story before...up until this one, my favorite was the story of Granny Merrick trying to mail her dentures to her friend.

les lunettes de soleil lady said...

Great Reviews John Madden Jersey | black-hawks-jersey.com